Thursday, September 9, 2010

Captin Adorable and other Such Nonsense...

Last night I rushed a yummy dinner to a woman down the street from me. Now that sentence makes me sound so service oriented and such, but in reality someone made the amazing meal but just had me deliver it. Her children are adorable. She lost her husband a couple years ago in a freak accident and is struggling to hold her home together. As I walked into the entry way her little boy came rushing to the door in what I thought was a dang stinkin' cute Superman outfit. When I exclaimed, "Wow, Superman!" He screeched to a stop and stared at me in disgust. His sister decked out in her Tinkerbell PJs shook her head and said, "Nooooo...he's..." and before she could finish I read the words, "Captin Adorable" slapped across his chest. I cracked up laughing and said, "oh my goodness, Of course, Captin Adorable"...Which was then his cue to jump from the third stair and land with a slip and a bump and then run on his merry way.

Now why don't we get to wear outfits like that as adults? I mean, really...wouldn't it cut the chase of what we need affirmations about. Just slap it on our chest in sparkly gold letters, complete the outfit with a flowy, fabulous cape and our sholders would straighten up, there would be a bounce in our step and our walk would become a leap from the third "step" of our lives. Risk would take on a whole new meaning. Survival would be essential. Beating up the "Bad Guys" a daily occurance. AND the assurance at the end of the day that we would win AND have a HOT outfit to prove it.

Perhaps that will be my project for the weekend. I don't like weekends. At least for right now. I watched this Mother and listened to her deep despair about the change in her life. She stated, "I never would have planned for this." "I am now facing the reality of a LIFE without him"...at one point she smiled and said, "Your so young, with so much ahead of you." At this commment, I cringed. I am young. But then again, I feel so old. So worn. So tired. I didn't know how to share with her that I am in the same boat. The same despair. The same panic of a life so different then what was planned. Maybe I will make her an outfit too...Seeing as we both need a little bit of "umph" for then next part of our lives.

So, join me this weekend as I am up to my ears in sparkles and materials and perhaps showcasing it down the aisles of Walmart. I've got nothing to lose. No, seriously, I really have nothing to lose:):)...Have a good one.

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Great story, great analogy!

    You are truly AMAZING!!!

    Check out us Marbles at www.therollingmarbles.blgspot.com

    Love,
    Sorena

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, really, I just wanted to say thank you for your honesty in this post. I genuinely appreciate your feelings. And I can see that whatever you might be experiencing right now is difficult. It takes a lot of courage to talk about feelings and especially when they are difficult ones. But I applaud you and I appreciate your honesty. Aly, you never were short on courage. You never were short on insight. And I support you in your journey, whatever that might be. You are a worthy, capable, beautiful woman. How lucky you are to be you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry I missed your call on Sunday. I think you should buy some big footie jammies and put adorable in big letters across the front. Then again, footie jammies in Arizona probably isn't a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so this is Kristin, not David...

    ReplyDelete