Thursday, September 16, 2010

A changed life, is a choice...




his little finger started to play with my grandmothers ring which was on my index finger. his face crumbled up again in the similar pout and he pointed to my wedding finger. my heart began its familiar ache that had, for a time, been pushed into a corner from such a new place and experience. I watched as he took off my grandmothers ring and put it onto my ring finger. "No, No" i stated, perhaps too strongly..."it doesn't go there." I pulled it off quickly and placed it on my index finger again. again he pulled off the ring and placed it on my wedding finger. tears filled my eyes as I again pulled off the ring and despretly tried to keep my emotions in check with such a reminder. his gaze held mine as I placed my ring back on my index finger and stated softly, "i don't have a ring there anymore." my heart felt as if it would be ripped in two. How did he know? just days prior as i sat on my bed in my "makeshift" room at my parents home, I stared at a gorgeous ring. one that had meant many, many things to me. it held promises, now broken. it held memories, that even now filled my heart with warmth and then panic that it was gone. i knew i needed to accept the choice that had been made long before. one that i didn't get to be apart of. i didn't want to. an hour later, i pulled off the ring. placed it in its purple box and shut the lid. my hand felt naked. wrong. so i quickly took grandma Aly's ring that had brought me so much comfort in the past and placed on my index finger. better. not perfect. not what i wanted. but def. better...

now sitting here with my little charge, i almost felt out of body. as these thoughts rushed through my head, slowly he lifted my hand up and kissed my ring finger. tears now fell. he laced his fingers through my hand and continued to chat in swahili and push hands away from "His white friend". just then they called for all volunteers to load up. i didn't want to leave. i asked the older student again, "what is his name?" he smiled and said, "shaun." as i climbed into the van, and we began to drive off, one of the volunteers again said, "look Alycesun, isn't that your boy?" I looked out and amoung the sea of children there was my green coat little boy, my Shaun. He just stared. I started back. It was getting easier to hold his gaze. he began to run. his gaze not leaving mine. he leaped over open sewage, crawled hills of garbage, his pace keeping up with the moving van. as we came onto the main street(if you could call it that:) He stopped and waved. The end of my first day. the beginning of My Shaun.

13 comments:

  1. A few weeks after I learned I was pregnant one of my students at school asked me if I was pregnant. Kids know things and I don't know how they do (except for I know the Spirit speaks to them). I'm sorry for your loss and I hope writing things down is helping heal your heart. Words written are powerful for healing heartbreak of all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, but heartbreaking. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful experience, Aly. You really are an amazing person, and a very talented writer! Keep up the good work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully written, Aly. I felt like I was there with you as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me ache for you Aly. I can't imagine what difficult experiences you've been through, but I know you will always learn from them and become stronger from it because that's who Alycesun Clare is.

    Sure miss you friend and hope we can get together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know we didn't talk about this when you were there, and I'm glad I get to know you better and what you were going through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Aly, my heart just aches for you as I read this. I've thought about you a lot lately. I look forward to more of your posts about Africa. I love the people there too. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I literally had tears in my eyes as I read this. Very beautifully written! What a sweet experience and a sweet sweet little boy. I'm thinkin' about you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aly,
    I hope you don't mind that I stumbled across your blog, I keep checking back to see how you are doing and felt like I should let you know of my "stalking". You are continually in mine and AJ's thoughts and prayers. You are strong and with faith in God's plan, you can overcome anything. You inspire me by your courage.
    -Ashley
    (Our blog is private but if you want to send me your email to ajandashbradley@gmail.com I will gladly send you an invite)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alycesun,
    You don't know me but I'm the mom of a young lady you know, one who shares someone in common with you, although your experience with this person is obviously more profound. One day he was going to marry her, the next day it was over.
    I'm so sorry for the pain you are going through, but I also know that in the long run you will find more happiness in starting over with someone else than you ever would have experienced staying where you were. Some people are just not willing to give as much as they get. Their life will always be about themselves first. My daughter, after much sorrow, grieving and self doubt, finally realized she deserved someone much better. She has since learned how wonderful it is to BE loved as much as she loves. It took a long time but she finally realized that the person she thought she loved before was only an illusion. (Sadly, your own experience made that all too clear for her.) He would have been great but he didn't really even exist. I know your wound is much deeper, but truly, I've been impressed by how you have handled your sorrow by reaching out to others. I know God will bless you with a wonderful companion and in the end you will be better off by far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you probably think this is strange that I am not only reading your blog, but writing on it. All I have to say is that you are an amazing person and that the once jelousy and anger that I had towards you (not because of you) but because of what you were getting that I wanted, has turned into complete love for you. There are so many things that I would love to tell you that I thought I should tell you long ago, but kept them to myself. All I have to say is that you are an inspiration to me and much better off. You are beautiful and wonderful and have a light about you that will reach millions!

    Jani

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great minds think alike. haha I didn't know my mom read your blog either :). You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok....just found your blog and you are a natural. You have such a gift of writing! Thanks for sharing your stories with us.

    markandkaylinn.blogspot.com - in case you are interested :)

    ReplyDelete